You would expect to pay the most attention to detail when it comes to the table that you use daily. On your eating table, you can expect food spills, water stains, and you constantly need to keep your table clean by wiping it. An important criterion when buying polyurethane is that it is a long-lasting formula. You need your polyurethane to last long. A reason why you would decide to purchase a tabletop finish in the first place is to increase the life span of your table. We think the best finish for kitchen tables make the tables look far more attractive too. In that way, you need to know what would be the best finish for a kitchen table and these guidelines may help you pick a perfect finish that caters to your needs.
- 1 A glance at tabletop finishes
- 2 Best Finish for Wood Kitchen Table
- 2.1 The Grizzly H2372 Good Stuff Wood Finish
- 2.2 SGQT Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat for table tops
- 2.3 Minwax kitchen table finish
- 2.4 Related Posts
- 2.5 Best Wood Varnish – Your Guide for perfect Wood Finishes
- 2.6 Best Exterior Wood Sealer – Your guide for Sealing Wood outside
- 3 Signs of the best wooden table finish
- 4 Handy Help for a classy finish
- 5 FAQ’s
- 5.1 When working on wooden surfaces, which clear coat will last the longest?
- 5.2 Should one choose water-based or oil-based polyurethane?
- 5.3 Why should applying kitchen wooden table finish be a requirement?
- 5.4 Is it possible to apply polyurethane to a painted surface?
- 5.5 How do we seal the wood surfaces?
- 5.6 If there is a varnished wooden table, can it be painted?
A glance at tabletop finishes
If you are new to the finishes department at your local hardware store, it is advisable to start your polyurethane trial with oil-based wipe-on polyurethane. This polyurethane is a quick-drying formula that is relatively simple to apply. Water-based wipe-on polyurethane on the other hand can work too but it results in a glass-like finish. If you would like that type of finish you may choose to settle for the water-based polyurethane instead. Shellac is not a suggestion for you because of its non-durable nature thus stopping it from being the best kitchen finish for wooden tables. Tung oil is also not best because of its slow drying properties. With Tung oil, you may have to apply coats over and over again until you achieve your desired results. Again when you are new to scrolling down the polyurethane aisle, remember to ask for guidance from the store experts. Experts will give you good suggestions on the best kitchen table finish. There are many best polyurethane for kitchen tables, however, you just need to find the best wooden tabletop finish for you.
Best Finish for Wood Kitchen Table
The Grizzly H2372 Good Stuff Wood Finish
This particular finish has been listed as one of the best finishes for kitchen table tops especially maple wood tops. It is a waterproof finish. The waterproof feature of the finish adds to its durability. It is believed to be a long-lasting finish that won’t be easily removed within months or years. It is also an odorless substance that allows you to be in your dining area while your tabletop is drying. The experts suggest using a cloth to apply this gel-like substance. The consistency of the Grizzly H2372 Good Stuff Wood Finish is far less liquid so it is simpler to use.
You can expect to pay a good few dollars for this wood finish; however, it is worth every penny spent.
- Waterproof finish
- Has an aesthetically pleasing finish
- Glides easily onto the wooden table
- Mentioned as the best finish for the dining table
- Relatively pricey in comparison to other finishes
SGQT Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat for table tops
With a name so tough to pronounce, you can expect a tough topcoat. Once this brand is applied as a kitchen table finish, you can anticipate that it will last long. The ingredients of this finish include urethane resin which is known for its durability. It is available in an array of different sizes which means you can buy the right quantity of finish for your table without needing to waste. The urethane comes in a can with an easily removable lid. Clorox disinfectant wipes can be used to effortlessly clean your tabletop post-application. While this finish can be applied using either a foam brush or a rag, you need to ensure that you work in a well-aired out space so that the smell of the substance does not affect your ability to breathe. The application process can happen with ease as you can also get rid of drips with the foam brush or cloth, but you need to react fast always.
The different aspect of the SGQT Arm-R-Seal finish is that your tabletop will dry with a topcoat that is amber in color. The finish is spectacular but since the color is not transparent, it requires careful thought prior to purchase. If an amber tint on your wooden tabletop is what you seek, certainly purchase this brand.
It is a product that is oil-based in nature making it a slow drying alternative. Experts state that you must avoid wiping the table 30 days after the application of the final coat. So please do not pull out your wipes to try and disinfect the table immediately after applying this finish.
It does produce the best finish for a wooden table, but it is a product preferred by those handymen who work with wood daily. To be frank, the Arm-R-Seal produces a desirable finish and is one of the best polyurethane for tabletops, however, wood experts are more prone to using this product than beginners.
- You can purchase a larger container for large tables
- Smaller containers of the substance are available too
- The finish lasts long once applied
- Produces a luxurious amber finish
- Hardly any smell produced during application
- The curing process requires patience
- Bubbles may appear initially when using the substance
Minwax kitchen table finish
The Minwax brand is known to be a fast-drying topcoat which professionals and non-professionals can use. It is an easy to use substance because it is a wipe-on poly with minimal drying time. Minwax is recommended to be used on an unfinished wooden surface as well as on a finished surface to produce the best finish for the kitchen table. The substance is effortlessly spread onto the wooden table with a bristle or foam brush. Alternatively, a lamb’s wool applicator can be used as well.
The main reason, why new handymen prefer the substance, is because of its quick-drying nature. For outdoor tables and for a kitchen table finish it works well because it dries fast allowing no dust to settle on the drying polyurethane surface. Within a few hours, you can scruff the surface smoothly with sandpaper grit. It doesn’t require a steady expert hand to apply the Minwax, so a novice can still achieve the best kitchen tabletop finish and stunning results when working with Minwax.
Although the product is called Minwax clear, the table finish may not be entirely clear, and it may cause a slight tint on your wooden surface. The reason that Minwax produces a tint is that it contains a high concentration of oil in the Minwax solution. The tinted wooden table change in appearance will be visible from the initial application so keep this in mind when deciding on a polyurethane brand.
You can see a warmer wooden table appearance because with Minwax, a single coat is never quite enough. Ideally, three or more coats are required, however, for wooden kitchen tabletops, at least five coats need to be applied to obtain the best finish. It will be a rather lengthy process so bank on the application taking time. If time is not a factor for you, Minwax is one of the top best polyurethane for tabletops.
- Minwax doesn’t allow stains to settle on tabletops
- The coating lasts long
- Minwax can be applied with a few types of brushes
- Prevents food stains
- Durable and long-lasting
- Needs to be applied over and over again to ensure the best finish
- Requires sanding in between coats
- Causes a warmish tinge on the surface
Signs of the best wooden table finish
If it is your first time attempting to get the best finish for a wooden kitchen table, remember that you need to tread carefully during the entire process. Be patient. Ensure you choose to work with the best possible products from the get-go. Below is a guide on what to look out for when trying to find the best polyurethane for kitchen tables.
While Minwax is easy to apply- it is still advisable for strictly professionals to use this polyurethane. Therefore when choosing a polyurethane for your first curing attempt, make sure you find one that is easy for you to apply. Many experts tell beginners to go for wipe-on polyurethane mixtures. The chances of going wrong with wipe-on polyurethane are very slim.
Wood finish types
When searching for the best finish for kitchen tables there are various types of finishes that you can consider:
Top water-based finish
Water-based finishes are known as the top best polyurethane for tabletops because of the fact that the substance is fairly thin and requires shorter drying time. It is a time-saving option especially for beginners who will lose their patience waiting for the finished design. It is also a less smelly choice for a finish.
Water-based polyurethane works best if you want to ensure minimal odor from the finish that you apply. That’s because water-based products have a slight smell during the application process which disappears after drying. It is because of water-based polyurethane being thinner than other substances that cause it to be a quick-drying solution. So, if you are an individual that is looking for a time-saving finishing process, you will do the right thing by purchasing a water-based finish.
Top oil-based finishes
You would choose an oil-based substance for a warmer tabletop finish. These finishes offer the best results in terms of quality and hence can be used as a kitchen table finish.
The oil-based finish protects the wood. It is of the best quality and this makes it perfect to be used in the kitchen. One of the best tabletop finishes, recommended by experts is the oil-based finish.
The varnish option
Well, your first instinct as a novice would be to use varnish. Varnishes are an amalgamation of oil, resin, and other substances. It is best to apply varnish on outdoor surfaces due to varnish’s durable nature. Varnish ensures protection against the sun’s rays. It takes a long time to dry fully so this must be considered before using this particular product.
Shellac as an option
It is important to note that shellac is relatively easy to apply but is not preferred on tabletops due to the fact that it does not last long on surfaces. Shellac is assumed to be one of the best substances for tabletops as it is made from wax and other products but this is a misconception. It is advisable to keep shellac away from wooden table tops.
It is not required that you start with substances that are too complex to use. You rather opt for an easier to use the substance to avoid messing the tabletop entirely. Try to consider options that have been recommended for novices to avoid going wrong.
It may not be on the top of your consideration list but you should buy a product that will not produce an unpleasant smell. It is unbearable to work with a product that has a very strong smell.
Be sure to choose a product that will last long. It may cost slightly more to buy a quality product but it is always better to pay more and spend less in the long run. The more wear and tear a table goes through, the better off you will be with a durable table finish.
Varnish as well as oil-based polyurethane generally lasts longer on tabletops. If a longer-lasting option is what you seek perhaps try Linseed and Tung oils. Shellac is not the best type of finish because it is a non-durable option.
The area to work in
Many of the wood finishes are not free from odor. The area designated for working must always be well-aired with cross ventilation so you can adequately handle the strong smells. Buy slight smelling products if you cannot guarantee proper cross-ventilation.
Always keep the costing of products in mind. While some finishes may be worth the hefty price tags, many may not be. Always seek guidance about products and if the quality is ensured by higher-priced products.
Handy Help for a classy finish
- Use your hand to sand: Try to sand by hand using a grit disc. Sanding by hand is the preferred option as it will produce better results than sanding using an orbital sander.
- The technique to sanding: sand every part of the floor, in the same way, using the same size grit disc. If you start sanding with a bigger grit size, the treated areas look different than the areas that were sanded with a smaller grit disc.
- Sand enough but not too much: While you may get carried away with the sanding process, just don’t! Experts will advise you to stop at 150-grit for harder-grain wood, 180-grit for fine wood, and end grain show far more drastic effects. Therefore on end grain, you may need to sand at 220 grit or more.
- Work with ease and speed: While you should never be too hasty during the buying of finishes, you must speed up the application process. When working with water-based polyurethane, the drying time is sudden. An oil-based substance becomes honey-like in texture if left long in its container. Therefore ensure all your curing equipment is by your side. Remember you cannot stop for any reason once you start the application of the polyurethane.
- Choose a roll-on finish type: Since speed and efficiency is needed to coat, perhaps you should settle for roll-on oil-based polyurethane. It is easier to smoothly roll on the substance in comparison to trying to coat with a brush. It does yield a pleasurable finish. With the roll-on polyurethane the instant after you apply, the bubbles that appear may look less desirable. However, once the bubbles vanish the finish is smooth and aesthetically pleasing. The trick is to apply light coats to prevent bumps from forming. Water-based polyurethane is also not a suggestion.
- Coat the entire table: When working with the best wood finishes, you must keep your goal in mind at all times. The idea of using polyurethane is to protect your table from absorbing far too much moisture. You need to coat underneath the table as well. Just a coat on the underside will protect the table and not deem your coating exercise fruitless.
- Minimum coating times should be thrice: You would select a durable product option but nevertheless three coats work like a charm. If you want to add layers to better protect your wooden table, you can even decide upon four or five layers.
- The end grain effect: When using finishes on end grain, there may be a considerable color change in comparison to working with face grain. A test must be done initially and if the end grain looks horrific coated, treat the end grain first. The end grain can be treated with droplets of finish to reduce absorption.
- White residue must go: Once the finish has dried after the wet sanding process, white marks may form. The idea is not to let white residue settle onto your wooden surface. If the white is left on the grain it will create an unpleasant look on the table.
When working on wooden surfaces, which clear coat will last the longest?
The very formulation of varnish makes it a thicker substance which is desirable on both wooden surfaces and outdoors making it far more long-lasting.
Should one choose water-based or oil-based polyurethane?
When making this decision there are a variety of factors to consider. The oil-based finish results in a finish that is not as clear as the water-based finish. Therefore if a crystal clear finish is on your agenda, definitely go for a water-based option. The oil-based polyurethane is easier to roll on and apply though.
Why should applying kitchen wooden table finish be a requirement?
Since you want to keep kitchen wooden tables looking great for a long time, you must set out to achieve the best finish for tabletops. A table which has no finish tends to look less pleasing. Uncoated surfaces are far less durable than well-coated ones.
Is it possible to apply polyurethane to a painted surface?
Certainly, it is possible to apply polyurethane to painted surfaces provided that you prepare your surface for the finish.
How do we seal the wood surfaces?
When using a sealer, it seeps into the wood to actually protect. Sealer application is simple especially when it comes to sealing timber. Enlisted below are the steps:
Work on a clean surface. The dirt on the table will cause complications when it comes to adhesion of the formula.
Start by working with a paintbrush to apply the sealer. The paintbrush will ensure you make the perfect strokes while showing no streaks at all.
Get the sealer to fully dry before you apply and reapply layers. One layer of sealer does the trick. No additional layers of sealer need be applied.
If there is a varnished wooden table, can it be painted?
Just as you can varnish over a painted surface, you can paint over a varnished surface. In fact, painting renews older looking wooden surfaces and may result in the best finish for your dining table.
A suggestion: The thick and clear formulation of varnish ensures a shiny surface that is well protected. The varnish may create an entirely new look for your table. So if that is the kitchen table finish you seek, use varnish!